Queens University of Charlotte
Knight-Crane Hall 103
Charlotte, NC 28274
JBIP Overview
How JBIP Works
Program Options
Getting Started
Create Account
Applying & Deadlines
JBIP Policies & Program Rules
Study Abroad FAQs
Before You Go
Preparing to Go Abroad
Health & Safety
Requesting Accommodations
Passports & Visas
More Information
Contact Us
PCIE MyQueens Page
Spring: April 1
Academic Year: November 15
Fall: November 15
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to speak a foreign language to study abroad?

No! Many of the exchange and affiliated programs we work with provide coursework in English, even in those countries where another language is spoken. Study abroad can be a great way to improve language skills, but even if you have no interest in learning a language, you can benefit from studying abroad. Only those students planning to study in a program where the language of instruction is not English must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the language of the host country to enable them to pursue course work. There is a minimum language requirement of four semesters for participation in the Language Immersion Programs.  For semester abroad programs, your language proficiency must be approved by your language advisor to study in the host country language.

Does study abroad cost more than what I usually pay at Queens?

Not necessarily. Depending on the kind of program you choose to study abroad; for example, a semester or year could cost more, less, or the same as your semester on campus. A faculty led program may or may not have a supplemental cost.

Will the credits I earn abroad count towards my Queens degree?

Yes! See below to see how the credit transfer process works for each program.

Semester/Yearlong Programs

Students who study abroad typically earn credits for their semester/year away. However, you must make sure to get your courses approved ahead of time by your advisor and complete the correct transfer credit form.  The Department Chair within each academic discipline determines the number of credits that will transfer. Students can find the Transfer Credit Approval Form on the MyQueens site under the Registrar's tab. Students should list courses they expect to take during their study abroad. This is a necessary step for students to receive credit for courses taken.

Language Immersion Programs 

Students who participate in language immersion programs receive language credits upon successful completion of language courses. Typically students receive six language credits but it is possible to receive more through independent study. Contact the Language Department Chair to discuss your options.

Internship Programs 

Students who participate in international internship programs receive internship credits for INT 401 or INT 402. There is also a language immersion option through Academia Latinoamericana, where a student could earn six or nine Spanish language credits.

Faculty-Led Programs 

Each faculty-led program is worth 4 credits. The type of credit depends on the program. Consult with your academic advisor to see if your prep course will count towards your major's degree requirements.

Summer Business Programs 

The course credit breakdown for these programs is as follows. 

*Do not register for any of the courses listed below at Queens if you will be participating in these programs!*

ESSCA - Paris:

  • BUS 340 for 3 credits
  • BUS 420 for 3 credits 

ESSCA - Angers:

  • POL 300 for 4 credits, or BUS 420 for 3 credits
  • IDS 300 for 2 credits

EM Strasbourg: 

  • POL 300 for 4 credits
  • BUS 420 for 3 credits
  • IDS 300 for 1 credit
    How will my credits transfer back to Queens?

For semester and yearlong programs, credits will transfer back as transfer credits (TR) as long as the student receives a minimum grade, equivalent to a C- at Queens University. The credits will transfer as listed on the Transfer Credit Approval form submitted by the student before departure. Courses taken during study abroad must be taken for a grade and pass/fail. The grades students receive from study abroad courses will not be averaged into the G.P.A. that the student receives at Queens.

Is there anything special I need to know?

Students do need to consider some special things when traveling abroad. You will need a passport, in some cases you will need a visa, sometimes you will need immunizations, and in all cases you will need a budget and an awareness of the study abroad insurance that the university provides. 

What should I consider for Budgeting and Packing?

Students must always consider that programs have a cost, even if the Pulliam Center for International Education does not charge a supplement. Students should consider things like

  • What's the weather like in my JBIP destination?
  • How many meals per day am I provided?
  • How much money will I need for my free time?
  • How many souvenirs will I buy?
  • Are there extra things that I would like to do abroad that will cost money?
  • Do I want to stay after the program is over and continue to travel?

Students are responsible for all costs outside of the items that are included as a part of their program, so students may want to visit other museums, cultural sites, or plan other activities in non-class time. These costs, along with evenings out with friends, can add up quickly! The Pulliam Center for International Education recommends that students create a daily budget and stick within these boundaries. It will help you if you will be traveling for some time and have to continue to purchase food and other things. Prices will vary around the world as well, so remember that the cost of things in Charlotte is not the same as the cost in London or Beijing! Have a look at a travel guide before you leave to get a good sense of the costs in other parts of the world.

Many students also like to have a new camera, international calling and data plan, need some new gear or need to buy travel items before they leave. All of these can add up quickly too! Make a packing list and remember that less is generally more. Check the local weather so you know how you can be prepared with the right clothing and remember that in some places in the world you will need to show respect by wearing long sleeves, long pants, and sometimes covering your head. Plan ahead so that you won’t miss out on any experiences by being unprepared.

Queens University of Charlotte Myrta Pulliam Center for International Education